General, 2 min read

Mold Effects on Health

Find out if mold is dangerous for your health and how you can deal with it. 

mold and health

Is Mold Harmful

To answer this question we need to look at two factors. The first one is the amount of mold present in your home. 

Too much mold is definitely harmful to your health. Having too much mold in your home can also severely damage your property. 

Common health problems caused by exposure to mold range from less severe ones like coughing, sneezing, dizziness, nausea, diarrhea to more severe allergic reactions, worsened asthma, depression, anxiety, memory loss, and others. 

The tricky part is that sometimes you may not see just how much mold you have in your home (or even not see any mold at all). Mold usually lurks in dark places, hiding from plain sight. To find out where mold most commonly grows in homes, read our previous article. 

Read where mold grows in homes.

How much mold is too much?

Well, besides the visible signs, if you’re experiencing unpleasant smells (you know the smell), symptoms like f.e. cold that seems to never go away, visible signs of property damage, those may be other signs of mold starting to take over.

If you don’t want your conditions to worsen, you need to address this issue immediately. We’ll get to that shortly. 

dangerous

The second factor is the type of mold you’re dealing with. There are a lot of types of mold, a good number of which can be very dangerous. 

For example, “the black mold” (Stachybotrys) is one of the most dangerous mold types that can be found in homes. Being exposed to this unpleasantness long-term could potentially lead to memory loss and respiratory system problems. Be especially aware of this if you have children. Do NOT try to remove this mold by yourself. 

However, the black mold you might be experiencing doesn’t have to be “the black mold”. More often than not, it’s usually just the all-too-familiar annoying bathroom mold. Depending on the first factor, you can remove this mold by yourself with a bit of work and patience. 

It’s important that you have samples of the mold present in your home tested in order to figure out exactly what you are dealing with. Making a mistake and trying to clean “the black mold” thinking it’s just the regular mold can be very risky. Consult with a professional. Speaking of…

What Can I Do?

If you want to talk to a mold professional, we would be happy to help you.  

Our team of mold professionals is available 24/7 to anyone in the city of Sarasota. 

Call us at: 941-271-0599 

Can I remove mold myself?

It depends. You may not see the full picture. It might happen that you see several inches of wall surface covered with mold but not see several feet of the surface taken over behind the wall. 

You can remove the typical bathroom mold by yourself but if the problem grows into something you can’t control (and mold usually grows quickly once it finds its sweet spot), you’ll need an extra hand. 

If you don’t know what you’re doing, call someone who does.