General, 2 min read

Moldy Cheese - Just Stinky or is There More You Should Know?

Yikes! That cheese looks and smells pretty ugly. Most people just throw their cheese in the trash once they spot mold on it but you should read this short guide before you do that the next time!

mold on cheese

Mold on Cheese - Unhealthy to Eat?

Maybe you’re not aware of it but moldy cheese is actually a very popular product in the food industry, mostly in Europe. Specifically, cheeses made out of blue and white molds are the most popular ones. 

Cheeses made out of these mold species are safe to eat.

However, what happens when other mold types, ones that aren’t used in production, pay an unexpected visit to your cheese in the fridge? Should you just throw your cheese in the trash?

Let us quickly cover a few things you should know before giving the final answer.

Mold eats the surface it grows on. The surface can really be anything organic, from food to wallpapers. Nutritious foods, like cheese and bread, are some of the most common places where mold is spotted. The reason for this is that both products contain a lot of carbs and fat. 

More carbs and fat = more energy. 

More energy = more growth. 

Just like you need energy to function daily, mold needs energy to grow. The more it eats, the more it grows. The more it grows, the more it eats. 

This is why mold spreads so quickly. 

What does this have to do with my beloved cheese?

This means that you should react quickly once spotting mold on it. How should you react?

Generally, it’s safe to just cut off moldy parts of the cheese (and a small part of the area around them). 

However, if most of your cheese is moldy, just throw it in the trash. 

How can I protect my cheese from future uninvited fungi visitors?

Wrap a breathable material around it like f.e. wax. Plastic holds moisture which consequently enables mold to grow. 

Mold spores spread through the air and this is why any longer exposure will result in green and black spots on your cheese. Keep it away from the air for longer periods of time.  

You should do this with all of your food products. But cheese is definitely a common target for molds and you especially watch out for it. 

Conclusion

Cheese made out of blue and white molds is perfectly safe to eat. In fact, Penicillium, a mold type used in cheese production, is also used in antibiotics production. 

But when mold grows on a cheese that’s not supposed to be moldy, it is not healthy to eat those moldy parts. However, in most cases, you’d be just fine cutting off moldy parts and eating the rest of the cheese. Keep it wrapped in the fridge and you should be fine. 

Struggling with mold? Please contact us right away. Our highly-trained staff will help you deal with your mold problems the right way. 

We serve the area of Sarasota/Bradenton. Emergency service is available.

Call us at: 941-271-0599 

Sources: Wiki